Property Claims Title Bar

Property Claims


Home Claims Property Claims

Property Claims Steps

If you have a property loss, our main goal is to get things back to normal as soon as possible.

First, if it is an emergency situation, call emergency services immediately. If no emergency is present, follow the steps below to help us ensure your claim is handled quickly and efficiently.

Take the necessary precautions to protect your property from further damage.
In the event of personal injury, obtain the names and addresses of individuals involved and witnesses.
Contact your agent as soon as possible to report your claim.

If your claim involves theft to your home, your policy requires you to call the police and file a report.

If you’re unable to reach your agent after normal business hours, we provide an after-hours claim reporting phone service for claim emergencies.

The service is available on weekdays from 5 p.m. to 8 a.m. and 24 hours a day on weekends and holidays.


Take photos (or videos) of damage.

Property FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are my responsibilities after a loss?

Your responsibilities will differ depending on your claim situation.  Most importantly, you are required to notify us promptly if you have a claim, you must protect your property from further damage, allow us the opportunity to inspect the damaged property and cooperate with us in our evaluation and investigation of your claim.  Additional information can be found in the section of your policy labeled "Duties After Loss".

What do I need to do if I have a theft to my home?

Your policy requires that you contact the police and file a police report.

How will I be compensated for a covered personal property loss?

The standard homeowners policy covers your personal property at actual cash value, meaning your personal property settlement will be depreciated based on the current age and condition of each item.  Replacement cost coverage can be purchased through a separate endorsement.  This endorsement will provide full replacement cost coverage for most of your personal property.

Some property, such as jewelry, stamps, coins, guns and silverware, have special limits specified in your policy.  You may be able to purchase a scheduled personal property endorsement on certain valuable items in order to be more fully covered.

What is the difference between actual cash value and replacement cost?

Actual cash value is replacement cost less depreciation.

What happens if more damage is found after Auto-Owners views my home or after a claim is closed?

Call Auto-Owners or your agent immediately.  Depending on the nature and extent of the additional damage, we may need to re-inspect before repairs are made.  Supplemental payments may be issued if coverage applies.

Additional Resources

How Do I Report A Claim - White

How Do I Report a Claim?

To report a claim, all you do is call your local independent Auto-Owners agent-someone you know and trust. With over 90 claim offices in 26 states, we believe our claims branches should be as close as possible to our policyholders and agents.

Report a claim
Already have a claim? Track a Claim